This set includes the Universal Cut Kataba Saw (9-1/2") - Hand Made by Hishiki - Proonly Brand and the Universal Cut Kataba Saw (7") - Hand Made by Hishiki - Proonly Brand. These are finest Japanese saws that we carry. Hand made the old way in Japan by the Hishiki work shop including hand hardening of the entire blade, hand correction of blade warping and taper ground blade thickness as well as carefully hand filed and hand set teeth. The alloy-steel blade (hardened to Rc 59) features universal cut teeth making this a superb general purpose woodworking saw with excellent cross cut and rip cut performance. These Kataba Saws have the following key specifications:
Rattan wrapped wooden handles. Made in Japan.
- 9-1/2" Length of Blade for the larger saw and 7" Length of Blade for the smaller
- 23" Overall Length for the larger and 18-1/2" for the smaller
- 17 Teeth Per Inch for the larger and 24 Teeth Per Inch for the smaller
- 0.026" Blade Thickness by the teeth tapering to 0.021" by the steel back for the larger and 0.017" Blade Thickness by the teeth tapering to 0.014" by the steel back for the smaller
- 0.0305" Kerf for the larger and 0.0205" for the smaller
HAND MADE JAPANESE SAWS
These handmade saws are as good as they come but require a certain amount of care in use to allow for a long life. The entire blade has been hardened and tempered as opposed to just hardening the tips of the teeth. Importantly, this allows the teeth to stay sharp a long time but it also makes the blade prone to breakage if subjected to excessive side forces when cutting. Therefore, in use, make sure you have clean cut; let the saw do the work and do not force it; do not pry and leverage the blade; do not bend the blade and try to change direction in the middle of the cut.
If you wish to have a Japanese saw that is more capable of taking some rougher treatments, you are better off selecting a saw that is not handmade and that have impulse hardened tooth tips.
Click here to see an optional Leather Case for Dozuki and Kataba Saws
Click her to view our entire selection of Japanese Saws.