Wildlife Carving in Relief by Lora Irish - Second Edition Revised and Expanded
Imagine the beauty of a deer running through the forest, a buffalo standing on a prairie at sunset, or a mallard drake winging through the cattails-all stunningly carved in wood less than two inches thick. This is the art of wildlife relief carving, where elegant portraits of animals and birds are brought to life with carving techniques that are easy to master and applicable to any type of woodcarving you choose to do.
Join renowned carver Lora S. Irish at her workbench as she shares a wealth of expert carving information to guide you through all of the steps that transform an original pattern into a realistic and superbly finished carving that can be proudly displayed in your home.
Inside this revised and expanded second edition, you'll find:
- New patterns and a stunning gallery of wildlife reference photos
- Realistic patterns presented in both outline and pencil illustration
- Instruction on selecting woods, tools, and finishes
- Essential tips for mastering the basics of relief carving
- Special techniques for creating facial features, fur, and feathers
- A comparison of relief carving styles, including low, high, stylized, and realistic
With almost 50 dramatic wildlife patterns to choose from, and an abundance of carving styles to explore, the variety of beautiful relief carvings you can create with this book is practically limitless. Soft cover. 176 pages.